Homepage and News Country Editor (3x)
Reports to the Executive Producer
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about their local audience, can pick out and follow a good story, and can meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
An MSN Homepage and News Country Editor will have the following responsibilities:
- Editorial Management. Identify the best stories to feature on the most highly-trafficked areas of the MSN Network; primarily on the homepage but also within Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger. Ensure this content is timely, accurate and locally relevant. They must be passionate about local, regional and global news and current affairs;
- Content updating and integration. Aside from the above, other Editorial areas need to be updated and kept fresh & relevant in order to engage the audience. Other duties help to ensure our pages are easily crawled by search engines. Duties can include updating news polls, maintaining a professional blog, updating search metadata, picking out and publishing editorial search highlights, selecting and publishing News Special Reports, and updating cross network assets;
- Establish, protect and put forth the Editorial Voice. The MSN Editorial Voice is to inform and also be provocative. It is important everything that we do editorially on the homepage and News channel is aligned with that Voice. We do not cover stories normally; we find a different way to approach a story that is captivating to our users. As we relaunch new media channels for MSN it is important that the editorial team can take this Voice and implement and extend this across many categories.
- Analysis & continual improvement. Part of our philosophy is to analyse the data we receive to continuously improve our message to our audience. We take advantage of the near-time nature of our medium so we are constantly reviewing how our editorial content performs so we don’t repeat mistakes, we can learn more about our users, and so we can build on the success of our “big-clicking” content.A Homepage and News Country Editor will scan the web for news that is relevant for their users with the objective of attempting to find content that will keep users on our homepage and channels as long as possible.
As the Editorial team needs to ensure content is at its ‘freshest’ and most relevant during peak traffic times for the MSN network, extended operating hours are the norm. Some shift work may be expected. A night-shift team will be maintained during the weekday so it is the responsibility of the Homepage and News Country Editor to ensure that team is properly briefed as to what are the key editorial stories to look out for overnight, what editorial content needs to be updated and that the transitions go smoothly.
We are looking for three News & Homepage Country Editors. One editor each will be assigned to Singapore and Malaysia individually. The remaining editor will cover both Indonesia and the Philippines. All will be initially based in Singapore but should be very familiar with their respective markets.
- Bachelor’s Degree ideally in Journalism;
- Fluent in English and Bahasa
- 2-3 years editorial web experience in a large portal or media web site where display advertising is the main source of revenue;
- Passion for the Web, digital content, and customers;
- Strong communications skills;
- Comfortable with working with numbers, analytics & measurement;
- Self-directed with excellent organizational skills;
- Knowledge of and interest in local, regional and global news and current affairs;
- A true multi-tasker;
- Ability to set and maintain deadlines;
- Must possess excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Comfortable with image editing tools such as Photoshop
- Experience working with 3rd party content providers;
- Strong work ethic and a high level of professionalism;
- Creativity, intelligence, and integrity;
Interested? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.